Recognizing an Online Dating Scam Artist
Your online “date” may only be interested in your money if he or she:
- Presses you to leave the dating website you met through and to communicate using personal e-mail or instant messaging (Separating and isolating you leaves you vulnerable to their trickery and there would be no one around to witness their tactics).
- Professes instant feelings of love;
- Sends you a photograph of himself or herself that resembles something from a glamour magazine;
- Claims to be from the U.S. and is traveling or working overseas, (when they actually reside overseas).
- Makes plans to visit you but is then unable to do so because of an unexpected event (something came up – tragic events in their stories seem to be their tactics for pulling in individuals with a tender heart)!
- Asks for money for a variety of reasons (travel, medical emergencies, hotel bills, hospitals bills for a child or other relative, Divorce, visas or other official documents, losses from a financial setback or crime victimization like, I was robbed, My Ex cleaned me out etc).
Online dating scams
One way to steer clear of these criminals all together is to stick to online dating websites with nationally known reputations.